Visible Analyst© Educational Editions - Capabilities
Educating tomorrow's developers today, Visible helps students become more marketable with advanced, affordable, application development and training tools.
Custom Symbol Templates
Create and define new sets of symbols that can appear on a new diagram type by supplying an image file and repository properties for each symbol. Create your own Network, Infrastructure or custom diagram that can be integrated with the current diagrams and repository entries.
Course Assignment Support
Click here to view a demonstration video of the Assignments feature as implemented in the University Edition.
- Allows instructors to easily setup courses and assignments where Visible Analyst is used in an educational setting.
- Instructors can create their own list of courses and assignments and then add students to those assignments.
- When a user submits an assignment, the instructor can easily view the student's work and assign a score.
- Available in the University Edition and the NEW single user Instructor Edition.
Process Modeling (Data Flow Diagrams) Features:
- Supports techniques/notations of Yourdon/DeMarco and Gane & Sarson methodologies
- Automatically number processes and data stores (Gane & Sarson) on data flow diagrams (DFDs)
- Supports either/both "top-down" and "bottom-up" analysis and design approaches
- Automatically balances data flows; interactively checks and resolves balancing, leveling, syntax, and completeness
- Automatically populates integrated Repository; supports splitting of data flows from Repository definitions
- Automatically generates decomposition diagrams
Business Process Modeling (Business Process Modeling Notation Diagrams) Features:
- Supports techniques/notations Business Process Modeling Notation Diagrams as developed by the Object Management Group (omg.org)
- Automatically includes Activity Symbol type notation
- Automatically includes Sequence Line type notation
- Automatically includes Event Symbol type notation
- Automatically includes Gateway Symbol type notation
- Automatically checks diagram syntax and completeness
- Automatically populates integrated Repository
Data Modeling (Entity-Relationship Diagrams) Features:
- Supports entity-relationship diagrams (ERDs); choice of Chen, Bachman, and IE notation styles
- Supports multiple entity types (including associative and attributive)
- Auto-generates ERDs from Repository information; generates multiple process views
- Automatically generates entity cluster diagrams
- Automatically synchronizes foreign keys
- Interactively checks and resolves normalization and syntax problems; provides key analysis
- Balances data elements and entities against process models
- Provides automated relationship-description walkthroughs
- The ability to generate MS Access, Oracle DDL and XML
Class Modeling (Class Diagrams) Features:
- Provides class definition including attributes, methods (with parameter lists), type of visibility, relationships
- Multiple class types and stereotypes: Standard, Structure, Elemental, Union, Fundamental Entity, Associative Entity, Attributive Entity, implementationClass, Interface, Metaclass, Powertype, Process, Thread, Type, Utility, and View.
- Verifies aggregation and inheritance relationships; verifies "pure" virtual methods in "abstract" classes
- Uses appropriate Rumbaugh/OMT or UML notation constructs for visual representation of object relationships
State Transition Modeling (State-Transition Diagrams) Features:
- Provides dynamic modeling using Rumbaugh/OMT notation constructs
- Checks state-transition syntax via integrated, open repository and rules engine
- Populates and maintains Repository with state and event objects
- Links state transition diagrams (STDs) to class definitions, showing attribute values and methods affecting them
Structured Design Modeling (Structure Charts) Features:
- Supports Yourdon/Constantine and Page-Jones methods; automatically populates integrated Repository
- Integrates automatically with data flow models; includes syntax and completeness checking
- Supports use of Modules, Macros, Library Modules; allows both control couples and data couples
- Allows multiple invocation techniques: direct, in-line, decision, and pathological
- Measures design complexity and structure of structure charts (SCs)
- Supports information clusters; interface table; intelligent page connectors for large diagrams
Business Modeling (Functional Decomposition Diagrams) Features:
- Modeling of business functions and system processes, fully related to the other
- Fully integrated support of FDDs by integrated Repository
- Supports automatic connection of functions and processes to subsidiary functions and processes
- Supports intelligent page connectors for large models
- Auto-generation of DFDs from FDDs, with automatic process balancing
- Validation of completeness and consistency of functions and processes
- Full support for functional decomposition techniques of IE (Martin) methodology
Repository, Networking and Reporting Features:
- Integrated, centralized Repository with comprehensive and maintainable object support
- Multi-user workgroup version permits concurrent access, simultaneous update, file/record locking (Included with University Editions)
- Comprehensive Repository reports: Detailed Listing; Summary Listing; Cross Reference; Single Entry Listing; Related To Listing; Split Flow Listing; Matrix Reports
- Custom Repository report capability
- Report preview; print to file or printer
UML Notation Features: (For Class, Use-Case, Sequence, Deployment, Component, Collaboration, and Activity models)
Strategic Planning Statements
- The ability to define Strategic Planning Statements with a specific subtype, such as Business Rule, Mission, Goal, Etc. These statements can be linked to the repository items that validate the statements, such as the Process, Entity, Use Case, Data Element, Activity, etc.