BACKING UP UNIX DATABASES
It should be a common occurence for Razor users to backup their repositories on a routine basis. There are lots of neat utilities available for backups but one of the most commonly used is the tar utility.
Here's a quick glance at another tar utility that you may find helpful:
Using GNU's tar package instead of UNIX's tar utility has a very real benefit to Razor.
GNU tar can handle names of virtually unlimited length, but the catch is that anything beyond 256 characters causes it to use an extension of the Tar format which is incompatible with other implementations of Tar. So, if you have GNU Tar on one end, you should also use it on the other end.
You can download GNU's freeware from their site at www.gnu.org/software/tar/index.html
BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR INSTALLING RAZOR
OS generic requirements:
- Log onto the computer with a user id and password.
- Either SCCS or RCS must be available on the machine which will run the Razor database server.
- If you opt to use RCS as the archival engine, it must be release 5 or better. We recommend version 5.7.
- You also need the proper version of X11. If you are on a Sun using SunOS 4.1.x, you need at least X11R4. All other platforms need X11R5 or better.
- To view reports, specifically HTML, pie/bar charts, Razor requires a Java-capable browser. For Netscape, this means at least version 4.5. For Internet Explorer, Razor minimally requires version 5.
For UNIX users:
We recommend creating a dedicated Razor administration account. This will become the central location for all Razor distributions and it is a great way to start organizing like a real CM pro.
For RazorNT users:
To run RazorNT Server you need the following:
- Networked Windows NT 4.0 Workstation with Service Pack 4 or greater. We like to see at least SP6.
- You must install as Administrator with Administrative privileges.
- NTFS disk partition with enough free disk space for installation.
- NTFS disk partition(s) with enough free space to create and maintain the desired Razor databases.
Note: Installation, as well as all of the administration of RazorNT Server, must be done via the Administrator account.
[return to top]